- Download the Java JDK 8 or later from Oracle.
- From either the Downloads window of the browser, or from the file browser, double click the .dmg file to launch it.
- A Finder window appears containing an icon of an open box and the name of the .pkg file. Double click the package icon to launch the Install app.
- The Install app displays the Introduction window. Click Continue.
- The Installation Type window appears. Click Install.
- A window appears which says “Installer is trying to install new software. Type your password to allow this.” Enter the Administrator login and password and click Install Software.
- The software is installed and a confirmation window appears. Click the ReadMe for more information about the installation.
- Download the Java JDK 8 or later from Oracle
- Change directory to the location where you would like the JDK to be installed. Move the .tar.gz archive binary to the current directory.
- Unpack the tarball and install the JDK.
tar zxvf jdk-7u<version>-linux-x64.tar.gz
- The Java Development Kit files are installed in a directory called
jdk1.7.0_in the current directory. Delete the .tar.gz file if you want to save disk space.